Ryan is a junior barrister with a developing practice in construction, commercial and property disputes. He regularly represents clients in trials and interlocutory applications and has an active court-based practice alongside his burgeoning practice as a led junior. Ryan is also qualified to accept instructions on a public access basis.
The core focus of Ryan’s practice is construction and engineering disputes. Ryan has been instructed in several disputes arising out of national and international infrastructure projects as well as residential renovation and disrepair claims. He has recently acted as junior counsel in an ICC arbitration concerning a large infrastructure project in the Middle East with an overall value in dispute of at least $500 million. Ryan is familiar with a broad range of standard form and bespoke contracts used across the spectrum of construction projects, including the JCT, NEC and FIDIC forms. He also has significant experience in claims brought by or against the National House Building Council, the market-leading insurer and warranty provider for new-build and refurbished properties in the UK. He is regularly instructed to advise in respect of adjudications, including providing early stage advice in respect of payment notices and “smash and grab” disputes.
Ryan is also a keen follower of academic developments in construction law. In 2018 he received 2nd prize in the annual Hudson Essay Competition run by the Society of Construction Law for his paper titled ‘Hanging by a slender thread: Design obligations in construction contracts following MT Højgaard v E.ON’. This paper was presented to the SCL at the National Liberal Club and can be accessed here. Ryan is also a contributor to the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyor’s isurv platform as the author of the section on Corporate Manslaughter.
- BPTC (Outstanding) – The University of Law
- LLB (Hons) – King’s College, London
Scholarships and Prizes
- 2nd Prize, Hudson Essay Competition 2018, Society of Construction Law
- Lloyd Jacob Memorial Award, Middle Temple
- BPTC Scholarship, Middle Temple
- Blackstone Entrance Exhibition, Middle Temple
- Thomas Arno Award, The Haberdashers’ Charitable Foundation
- Committee Member, Technology and Construction Bar Association (TECBAR)
- Hall Committee Member, Middle Temple
- Society of Construction Law
- Ryan is a keen follower of horse racing and frequently attends racecourses across the UK. When time allows, he also enjoys playing snooker and going to the theatre.