Ryan joined Lamb Chambers in October 2018, having completed pupillage at a specialist construction chambers in the Temple.
He presently takes instructions in all of Chambers’ practice areas, including commercial, property and personal injury disputes. He regularly appears in the County Court in trials and interlocutory applications and has an active court-based practice. Ryan is also qualified to accept instructions on a public access basis.
Ryan has a particular interest in construction and commercial disputes. Ryan has been involved in several disputes arising out of large national and international infrastructure projects as well as residential renovation and disrepair claims. He is familiar with a broad range of standard form and bespoke contracts used across the spectrum of construction projects, including the JCT, NEC and FIDIC forms. He also has extensive experience in claims brought by or against the National House Building Council, the market-leading insurer and warranty provider for new-build and refurbished properties in the UK.
He is regularly instructed to advise in respect of adjudications, including providing early stage advice in respect of payment notices and “smash and grab” disputes. He is due to appear as junior counsel in the Court of Appeal in early 2020 in an appeal concerning enforcement of adjudication awards and allegations of fraud.
Ryan is also a keen follower of academic developments in construction law. In 2018 he received 2nd prize in the annual Hudson Essay Competition run by the Society of Construction Law for his paper titled ‘Hanging by a slender thread: Design obligations in construction contracts following MT Højgaard v E.ON’. This paper was presented to the SCL at the National Liberal Club and can be accessed here.
- BPTC (Outstanding) – The University of Law
- LLB (Hons) – King’s College, London
Scholarships and Prizes
- 2nd Prize, Hudson Essay Competition 2018, Society of Construction Law
- Lloyd Jacob Memorial Award, Middle Temple
- BPTC Scholarship, Middle Temple
- Blackstone Entrance Exhibition, Middle Temple
- Thomas Arno Award, The Haberdashers’ Charitable Foundation
- Committee Member, Technology and Construction Bar Association (TECBAR)
- Hall Committee Member, Middle Temple
- Society of Construction Law
- Ryan is a keen follower of horse racing and frequently attends racecourses across the UK. When time allows, he also enjoys playing snooker and going to the theatre.