James acts for landlords and tenants in possession claims, claims for recovery of service charges, and deposit protection disputes. James also advises and represents clients in other property matters including leasehold disputes, trespass, mortgage repossessions, boundary disputes and TOLATA claims.
- J v F (2020) – advising the prospective claimant in a long-running multi-million pound dispute over a series of investments and loans issued in respect of successive property developments.
- L v D (2020) – advising the joint owner of commercial premises in a dispute over a contract for sale and the most advantageous method of achieving resolution following the winding up of the parties’ company.
- B v B (2020) – advising and representing the prospective claimant in a dispute with his brother over the joint ownership of the family home before and after the demise of their parents, and a mortgage secured thereon solely for the benefit of the prospective defendant.
- SN Ltd v CR (2019) – advising a freeholder company in respect of compliance with both landlord and tenant repairing covenants as well as apportionment and non-payment of service charges.
- H v I (2019) -provided advice and drafted pleadings for a wrongful forfeiture claim seeking injunctive relief and damages. The dispute centred around a sub-lease for restaurant premises which the defendant conceded following cross-examination at trial. Also acted in subsequent enforcement hearings.
- RC v M & M (2019) – representing a specialist lender in a long-running possession dispute arising from large loans secured against a number of properties.
- S v Y-H (2018) – represented the claimant freeholders in a trial for recovery of ground rent and service charges. The claimants were awarded all of the sums claimed and recovered costs under the lease.
- SS v AP (2018) – defeated an application to set aside judgment and obtained a possession order for the lender on a mortgage of large commercial premises.
- G & Ors v K & Ors (2018) – acting for freeholders in a claim for injunctive relief and damages relating to interference with an easement by multiple neighbouring landowners.
- A v L (2018) – represented the landlord in a difficult section 8 possession claim and advised on how to remedy defects as well as service of a section 21 notice following the change in regulations.
- EP Ltd v P (2018) – successfully represented the claimant in an application for an interim possession order over part of retail premises on which trespassers had taken up residence.
- S & T v N (2017) – provided advice and representation in relation to TOLATA issues in a dispute between joint owners of property previously the subject of an agreed order for sale.
- A v G (2017) – advised and represented a Landlord in a deposit protection dispute which centred around the definition of an assured shorthold tenancy and whether the rooms let to the claimant formed ‘part of a building’. A favourable settlement was negotiated part-way through the hearing.