James is the head of the property group and is a highly experienced property advocate who combines intellectual rigour with a practical, commercially minded approach. He is regarded by clients as approachable and efficient, always aiming to put the client’s needs first.
James has particular expertise in commercial and residential landlord and tenant law and is a leading authority on tenancy deposit protection scheme disputes.
James is married with two children. When time permits, he enjoys wine, cricket, bridge and music. He is an elected member of Elmbridge Borough Council where he is the Deputy Leader of the Council and Cabinet Member for Planning. Prior to that he was Cabinet member for Housing for 6 years.
- Francis v Phillips  EWCA Civ 1395
Qualifications and appointments
- BA (1st class) Birmingham University (Ritchie Prize) (1990)
- British Academy Scholarship, Oxford University (1990)
- MSt Brasenose College, Oxford (1991)
- Middle Temple Queen Mother’s Scholar (1992)
- Middle Temple Harmsworth Entrance Exhibitioner (1992)
- Legal Services Commission Funding Review Panel
- French (fluent), German (working knowledge)
- Property Bar Association
- Editorial Board, RICS Isurv
- Elmbridge Borough Council
Wine, politics, history, music, bridge, cricket and football.